More than 3/4 of the detached homes constructed in recent decades in the GTA have a garage built right into the house. And yet, unlike in the rest of the house, there is little or no insulation in the walls and ceiling of the garage. That means that the garage is little more than a heat vacuum, sucking the warm air out of the adjoining heated rooms through those uninsulated walls. It also means that if you go to the trouble of insulating your garage you’re going to notice big reductions in your heating bills and in the overall liveability of the rest of the house.
The Case for Garage Insulation
Garage insulation is one of the most effective and affordable ways to add significant value to your home. Here are just some of the benefits you can expect from installing insulation in your home garage:
- Reduced heating bills – As we mentioned above an uninsulated garage is a vacuum sucking heat out of adjoining rooms and dispersing it to the atmosphere. When you enlist the help of the experts at Spray City Insulation they’ll shut down that heat vacuum and reduce your energy bills to what they should be. You’ll likely be shocked when you learn just how much your uninsulated garage was costing you.
- A quieter house – When we live in a house for a while we tend to take the noise levels inside the house for granted. Once you fully insulate your garage with spray foam insulation however, your home is likely to become a quieter place. That’s because proper insulation not only prevents heat loss it prevents sound intrusion.
- A drier house – During spring, summer and fall Toronto can be a very humid place. Especially during spring when snow and ice that have been sitting frozen for months all decides to thaw at the same time. Spray foam insulation produces an effective moisture barrier that keeps the damp out and keeps your garage as dry as it can be.
- A healthier house – A fully insulated garage is a drier garage as we noted. And a drier garage is less likely to play host to bacteria and fungi of all sorts. As there are several types of mold that are potentially deadly to humans the less mold you have growing in your garage the better. And a warm, dry garage will no longer lay out the welcome mat for these microorganisms.
- Making the garage liveable – A fully insulated garage not only helps you save energy it also opens up a slew of possibilities when it comes to using the garage. Add a space heater or two and you’ll have an ideal location for a workshop or place to practice your music or to install a home gym. In essence you’ll be increasing the usable floor space of your home by the area of the garage.
Choosing the Right Type of Insulation
So garage insulation makes a lot of sense. But which type of insulation is best? If you’re like most people you’ll default to fiberglass batts but is that really the best, most effective type of insulation? The answer is no. A more effective method of insulating your garage (or your attic Insulation or your basement spray foam insulation) is spray foam from Spray City Insulation.
What Makes Spray Foam Insulation So Good?
Spray foam garage insulation is introduced into the space between wall and ceiling joists using state-of-the-art equipment. As it comes into contact with air it expands and so even the tiniest crevice or hole in the walls or ceiling of your garage is effectively filled. With fiberglass batts there are always spaces along the edges where air and moisture can slip past. So while fiberglass insulation is certainly better than nothing it really can’t hold a candle to spray foam insulation from an effectiveness standpoint.
The Value of the Moisture Barrier
In addition to plugging up the myriad leaks that allow heat to escape spray foam also creates an effective moisture barrier which produces its own array of benefits. While it would be impossible to seal a working garage against all the elements (since the door is opening and closing several times a day) it is nonetheless possible to reduce the amount of moisture in the garage while at the same time reducing heat loss. Spray foam will do a much better job at both of those than fiberglass will.
Contact Spray City Insulation Today
Spray City Insulation is the GTA’s premier resource for first class spray insulation. As well as being fully insured we’re also fully licensed and experienced spray foam installers and we can help transform your cold, damp Toronto garage into a warm, dry, inviting space that can be put to work as a gym, workshop or high quality storage area. Give us a call to receive a same day quotation and put the power of spray foam garage insulation to work saving you money.